Zen corner and the art of decluttering

Sunday, May 14, 2017



Every once in a while, we might stumble into a never ending thought of having a dream bedroom. Some people consider the act of flipping through interior books as a natural high, while others prefer to do it on the screen while scrolling through an endless images on Pinterest and create their own 'dream bedroom wish list'. Because nowadays I'm having more time at home, I don't really have that much options rather than doing work in my bedroom since spending day out at a coffee shop will cost a fortune for my weekly expenses.

I haven't really put that much thought of doing a makeover for my bedroom after recently realised how I feel overwhelmed by the things that surrounded me which were hiding in boxes on my closet. While previously working a 9-5 job, I rarely spent time at my bedroom so I just leave it the way it was, but now to keep it clean and organised are on top of my priority.

The first step was decluttering my closet, I've heard many good things about this and how it will not only give more space of inventory but leave a really great impact for our lives personally. It gives the freedom to save time while getting ready to dress up and live by the philosophy of 'less is more'.

On the clean up day, I was surprised to find my elementary uniform and swimwear from when I were a kindergarten, boxes of memories filled with bits and pieces from junior high school, journals, band T-shirts, invitations, brand new greetings card, and A LOT of printed photographs. I realised that I'm such a sentimental keeper (or more like a hoarder), so the process of cleaning up my whole bedroom sure wasn't easy.

Thankfully, I keep Marie Kondo ultimate tips on top of my head:
Nostalgia Is Not Your Friend

Zen Corner

After hours of cleaning up, finally comes the most exciting part, although my bedroom is far from perfect (I have the most cheesy bedroom wallpaper you could ever imagine and a big closet that take a lot of spaces :( ) I decided that we gotta use what we have now and make the best out of it. So I clean up my bedside table which usually filled with clothes, and transform it into what I'd like to call a Zen Corner.

I gathered things that carry an element of nature and life behind it. Such as my sun print creations, sea shells which I always carry back home from a tropical getaway, a handmade pottery by one of a very talented young potters I know, and a wooden painted doll by a local illustrator. This corner is dedicated to that two elements, I always have this spot for handmade stuffs because I'm a firm believer that we not only buy the product but the time, effort, and thought that goes behind it. 
Now every time I look at this zen corner, I just feel at ease.


1 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so wonderful! I think Marie Kondo really has some real truths in that book of hers. I don't want to admit it, but I should probably get rid of a lot of baggage too.
    I love your zen corner (and I'm so sorry that I've been slacking in the blog-visiting-department, I LOVE what you've done with your blog-- it's like a little zen space on the internet. :)))))) ) (now if you don't mind me I'm going to plow through everything I've missed and enjoy your photography).

    ReplyDelete

 

closer to home © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger