Embracing Uncertainity

Sunday, January 29, 2017



“It sounds paradoxical, but uncertainty and vulnerability are your guides through this soggy life you’re living." - Heather Havrilesky
Some of you might have known that I take photograph for a living, but not so many people know this personal story of mine, that I was working an almost full-time job while still juggle on photography projects here and there. And today, I just feel like sharing it with whoever reading this blog right now. Since my college days, I didn't really have the luxury to go out with friends after class, let alone hanging out around campus after lunch time. Besides studying, most of my time will be spent working a part time job as a writer at a digital agency. I never regret it at first, since it gave me all the opportunities to meet amazing colleagues who turned into friends, a chance to travel, share stories with people, and gained a practical knowledge about creative industry business.

Entering the last semester of my university, I went out from that job to try a different path. I remained jobless for around 4 months, got a photo assignment for an international publication covering stories of Batik in Solo, before applying for another part time job at Indoestri, a makerspace with Self Made spirit which surprisingly was only 10 minutes away from where I lived. It was since the end of 2014 and here I am right now. 

I've been working for almost 3 years now since the early development of Indoestri Makerspace who had contributed such a very strong handcrafting movement amongst youth and entrepreneurs in Indonesia. I was responsible for their content, which also involves PR & Business Development strategies. Over the years, I always knew that photography and storytelling are two of my core strengths. In any kind of job that I've taken, these two are inseparable. I've also met some of the very genuine and passionate people while working there, who I can rely on to exchange both creative ideas as well as the personal ones. For that fact, I'm forever thankful.

It's always in the hardest moments when being courageous to stand on our two feet might become the best option, to move forward and embracing the unknown. Changes are scary, but one thing I know for sure is that good things take time and it won't just fall into the right place altogether. I'll allow myself to embrace the process, to keep doing what I love the most, helping people craft their stories through photography. 

Dear future self, if you're reading this, things might or might not fall into the right place just yet. But I salute your bravery to take the first step to do things that feel right to the heart, even before seeing the whole staircase. I'm writing this post before embarking on a full-time freelance journey starting next month, leaving a job with stable income and the most wonderful people who I called as my second family. It's been real and I'm forever grateful for this chance of a lifetime. Thank you for making me who I am today, you guys know who you are.

Jakarta, 29 January 2017
9:05 PM with a hot chocolate and Sufjan Stevens playlist

4 comments:

  1. Fransisca, your post was beautiful. It's always nice to know more about bloggers you follow on a more personal level. You sacrificed so much to get where you are, and your talents have taken you far. It's not easy following your dreams, but it is worth it when you finally achieve everything you've worked so hard for. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, thank you for leaving such a very encouraging words. One of my goals this year is to be more open and share my personal thoughts with other people :) It is indeed a big step I'm taking, a bit scared and excited at the same time. Hope you're well!

      Delete
  2. I can totally relate to this. There are hard decision and or scary decision that you have to take in your career. Some of it might not feel right straight away, but I think at the end of the day, we are learning from our actions. The unknown always feel scary at first, but I believe you will handle it ;) Keep on going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niken, I totally agree! Coming up with this decision and the days after have been hard. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this, I really appreciate it :)

      Delete

 

closer to home © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger